Thursday, August 9, 2007

Dividend Yield Hunter site

This site has its heart in the right place -- investing for income -- and so I wanted to like it more than I did:

Dividend Yield Hunter

One problem is that its domain name is misleading . . . it's focused on non-dividend income investments -- REITs, Canadian trusts, preferred stocks, and so on. It even lists some high-yielding money market accounts.

But it totally ignored common stocks that pay dividends, so it misses the biggest way to grow income faster than inflation in the long term.

It lists some basic information on each type of investment, and then lists some of them. It contains interesting information on shipping and transportation stocks. I'd thought they were high-yielding simply because the shipping business is so strong right now. That's the impression I got from reading various sales letters for financial newsletters sent to me. But apparently these companies get a tax break from the government. So that's interesting to know.

On a technical level, this site is poorly laid out. I had to scroll right and left, and move the screen around a lot. It badly needs a web design makeover to make it user-friendly.

It does contain some news and opinion, also. It has a model portfolio, but now real plan (although to its credit it does say that it doesn't support trading.)

Comparing it to my site, I have to rank mine higher in terms of appearance and usability. I think I do a better job of giving in depth information about the investments, but I don't even try to keep up with news, so I don't give yields, which will change constantly. However, this site currently covers more types of investments than I do (yet - many more pages will come in the not too distant future). I also do not give an overall plan on my site -- but I am writing a book that will give a plan.

It's a good place to see a wide range of income investments and to get a list of some of them, so it's not a bad place to begin your research.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is pretty nice, I guess there is a site for everything nowadays.

Lily Grayn
culinary arts degrees | online culinary schools